Monday, June 23, 2008

A Letter to Michelle Obama

Dear Michelle:

Gee, Cindy McCain is "always" proud of our country. What is the matter with you? Weren't you proud when State laws had black folks sitting in the back of the bus? Why weren't you proud that several hundred of thousand soldiers in the gulf war were disabled with Anthrax vaccines given to them by our government?
And hey...are you not proud that we have riddled the middle east with depleted uranium and the children are being born with horrendous disfigurations? What's the matter with you, girl. How could you say that you are not proud, every second, of our country...like Cindy?

Do you have a problem with being black in this country? When I was in the fourth grade in public school in the Bronx (circa 1956. I sat in front of Zenobia Pouncie, I was in the first row. She was behind me in the second row. We were in the middle section directly in front of the teacher. I remember to this day...the male teacher, his chalky face contrasted by his dark hair; black glasses. He asked Zenobia a question which she did not know the answer to.(By the way...Zenobia was the sweetest girl). He looked at her as if I were transparent, and with a voice that thundered through my little body, he yelled, "Why don't you go back to Afrika were you came from?"

We all have been more or less proud of some of the good deeds of our country especially as it concerns the liberties contained in the constitution and the bill of rights. I absolutely agree with you: "Really" proud does come under the heading of a black man becoming president. I am "really" proud too. Perhaps Cindy is "always" proud, but you are "really" proud! (emphasis on "real")


Eileen Dannemann
Director, National Coalition of Organized Women

1 comment:

Morna Crites-Moore said...

I am aghast at your teacher. I do know that was the thinking back then (and apparently still is, in some quarters) but I am always flabbergasted to hear someone actually say something like that. I

The letter to Michele is good. I am confused about one thing. I thought Michele said "very proud" but I swear I've seen a Republican ad, twice, where they had her just saying "proud" without the qualifying "very." I only saw it twice. Could they have actually doctored the soundtrack? Nah, Republicans never do underhanded things.